SUMMER AND FALL INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: COMMUNICATIONS AND SOCIAL MEDIA INTERNSHIP
With a Trump presidency, state-based climate action has never been more important. It’s the collective fortress of the environmental movement. And state-based, people-powered, climate action is what we do here at the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN).
We’re the largest and oldest grassroots group fighting for bold and just solutions to climate change in the Chesapeake region of Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
We’ve put a stop to new coal plants in Virginia, brought 100% clean power to Washington DC, and fully banned fracking in Maryland.
In 2019, we’re going to keep fighting: to stop massive fracked-gas pipelines across the farms and forests of Virginia, to double wind and solar in Maryland, and to make DC a national leader on climate action — right in Trump’s backyard.
We and our 50,000 supporters surrounding the nation’s capital are going to keep building the powerfully diverse grassroots climate movement our region needs – building local resistance, raising our voices, and taking concrete action.
And under a Trump presidency, we’ll be fighting for more than energy justice. Trump is a threat to all of our progressive values and we will work with our progressive allies across the region for paid sick days for all workers, an increased minimum wage, and more. We will pitch in wherever we can.
OUR COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
Interns at CCAN work side-by-side with our experienced communications experts to create compelling content and run impactful media campaigns across our region. They gain valuable experience for careers in the communications and media industries.
SPECIFICALLY, YOUR TASKS WILL INCLUDE
- Learning the ins-and-outs of managing media lists and reaching out to reporters.
- Developing fluency in a website management system for creating and sharing content on multiple websites.
- Drafting social media posts and analyzing social media content.
- Researching best practices for social media and search engine optimization.
- Conceptualizing, editing, and/or drafting blog posts and language for the website.
- And having an amazing opportunity to learn what it’s like to work at an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben has called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to combat climate change despite a climate denier in the White House, and secure clean energy victories.
- A commitment to a fair and equitable energy future.
- A keen eye for new technologies and computer systems.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- A Quick learner.
- A good understanding of social media spheres.
- And a sense of humor!
This internship will be based in our office in Takoma Park, Maryland.
Internships are typically 20 hours per week from early June through late August in the summer semester and early September through early December for the fall semester. Exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
To apply, fill out the following Google Form Application, where you will be prompted to upload your resume, cover letter and a writing sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.