Organize for action in ground zero of the climate crisis!
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the first grassroots, nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting global warming in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Our mission is to build and mobilize a powerful grassroots movement and use our proximity to the nation’s capital to push for state, national and international policies that will put us on a path to climate stability.
The Hampton Roads region of Virginia is ground zero of the climate crisis, second only to New Orleans in vulnerability to sea level rise. Surrounded by water on three sides, the city of Norfolk and nearby communities are confronting rising seas firsthand. Water is lapping at residents’ front doors, impacting daily decisions—such as determining which side of the street on which to park based on the tide and weather. Families experience repeated severe damage to their homes with each, increasingly-frequent storm and are left without access to private flood insurance as major insurers deny coverage to coastal communities. The Navy has spent millions of dollars raising piers and retrofitting infrastructure. National media attention has highlighted climate change impacts on Norfolk and it has been the subject of multiple documentary films.
Hampton Roads also carries immense opportunity for the meaningful action the climate crisis demands. It is perfectly situated for development of a booming offshore wind power industry, and plays a critical role in state and national politics. Home to key legislators and industries, the region represents a significant opportunity to bring climate change and energy issues into the political spotlight. While some local lawmakers have been forced to consider “climate change” a political term, many of them would be happy to have their constituents push them to champion policies for clean energy and smart adaptation to sea level rise. We must elevate the voices of those most at risk to the impacts of our heating planet so that activists are well-organized and calling for a quick, massive shift away from fossil fuels and toward renewable energy.
CCAN takes on the region’s worst climate polluters and fights for the most effective clean energy policies. If you’re looking for a group that will push you, inspire you and give you tons of responsibility, we’d love to meet you. We are seeking a talented and energetic organizer to continue our work building a robust and diverse movement fighting climate change in Hampton Roads. The Hampton Roads Organizer reports to the Virginia Policy Coordinator & Coastal Campaigns Manager.
The Hampton Roads Organizer will lead and expand an active, visible climate advocacy movement in the region by:
- Mobilizing residents to make their voices heard through petitions, phone calls and in-person campaign actions
- Recruiting and training volunteers throughout Hampton Roads to be effective campaign advocates
- Developing teams of volunteer leaders to take ownership in implementing CCAN’s campaigns
- Planning, organizing and executing campaign events, small and large
- Working with existing coalition partners, maintaining and building on those relationships, as well as expanding our base of allies
- Gaining media attention for campaign efforts
- Building relationships with lawmakers in the region to cultivate champions for climate change action
This is the right job for you if:
- You’re passionate about fighting climate change
- You believe that true grassroots organizing is crucial to winning short- and long-term victories
- You have organized on your campus or in your community, achieving results and thriving on the work
- You have experience recruiting individuals, developing leaders and team-building
- You are knowledgeable about advocacy campaigning and are eager to learn more
- You are just as excited to organize creative actions as you are to meet ambitious petition goals
- You are an effective communicator, able to inspire different types of people to take action through both written and verbal communication
- You are self-motivated and a problem-solver
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, generous benefits package including health care, dental coverage and generous vacation leave.
Preferred location for the Organizer is within the Norfolk, VA or Hampton, VA metro area. Candidates should have a valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record and reliable car with auto insurance. Travel expenses beyond daily office travel will be reimbursed.
CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We strive to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for our positions.
Please email resume and cover letter in MS Word or PDF format with “Hampton Roads Organizer” in the subject line to Harrison Wallace at Harrison@chesapeakeclimate.org.