Spring Internship Opportunity: Work with CCAN to protect Virginia’s coast from rising seas
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network, or CCAN, is working to protect the Hampton Roads region from the catastrophic impacts of climate change.
Climate Change—caused primarily by the burning of of fossil fuels—is the major driver of sea level rise globally and in Hampton Roads. The impacts of flooding are here now, and it’s only getting worse. Scientists say our coast could be inundated by as much as six feet of sea level rise within this century.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
While the impacts of climate change are at our doorstep, so are the solutions. CCAN is working to help adapt our coast to rising tides, reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the root of the problem, and tap into Virginia’s vast wind and solar energy resources – that means taking on the state’s biggest utility, Dominion Virginia Power, and stopping its dirty energy projects, like the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, in their tracks.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Learn to organize campaign events and creative actions
- Help conduct outreach, including tabling at events, phone banking and collecting petitions
- Help recruit new volunteers to the campaign
- Write and publish your own letters to the editor and blog posts
- Conduct campaign research
- Support constituent lobby meetings with elected officials and legislators
- Learn grassroots campaigning from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to combat causes of climate change, fight big polluters and win
- An eagerness to learn new advocacy and organizing skills and put them to work right away
- A willingness to work hard
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A sense of humor
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from late January through early May, exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW AND SPEND YOUR SPRING INTERNING WITH US
To apply, fill out the following Google Form Application, where you will be prompted to upload your resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.