Spring Internship Opportunity: Work with CCAN to fight to double renewable energy & clean energy jobs in Maryland
This year, the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN), along with the Maryland Climate Coalition, is working on a campaign to increase Maryland’s RPS (Renewable Portfolio Standard), the state’s requirement for utilities to garner their energy from renewable sources like wind and solar. This spring, we look forward to more exciting campaign events.
Take part in this visionary campaign to pass legislation that dramatically reduces climate change pollution in Maryland, while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re hiring smart, talented students for spring internships to stand up and take climate action. Apply today!
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
Not only was Maryland the first state to legislatively ban fracking, we overrode Governor Hogan’s veto thereby expanding Maryland’s requirement of electricity from renewable sources to 25 percent! We have made great strides in clean energy in Maryland so, let’s keep pushing forward with bold vision to attain a cleaner and more just state.
The campaign is called the Clean Energy Jobs Campaign and the primary components are below:
- Increasing Maryland’s RPS law for electricity to 50% renewable energy by 2030, which will bring 20,000 clean energy jobs to Maryland.
- Investing in clean-energy workforce development while targeting economically distressed parts of the state and individuals who have historically experienced barriers to employment.
- Making more funding available for investment capital and loans to help minorities, veterans and women grow within the clean energy economy.
- Phasing out incentives for the incineration of trash under Maryland’s current RPS law for renewable power.
As we face Trump’s rollbacks on climate change policies, we must continue to act on the state level. You will be on the front lines of this state-wide campaign!
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to enact structural change to address the causes of climate change and win
- An eagerness to learn new advocacy and organizing skills and put them to work right away
- A willingness to work hard
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This internship will be based in our office in Takoma Park, Maryland.
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from late January through early May, exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW AND SPEND YOUR SPRING INTERNING WITH US
To apply: Please fill out this Google Form Application, where you will be prompted to upload your resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.