SUMMER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: WORK WITH CCAN TO FIGHT FOSSIL FUELS AND EXPAND RENEWABLE ENERGY ACCESS IN BALTIMORE
This summer, the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is working to stop fossil fuel infrastructure expansion in Baltimore while increasing renewable energy access across the city. From fighting crude oil trains, to expanding community solar and offshore wind, to mobilizing for a citywide march and action fair in September, this summer will be filled with opportunities to fight for climate action in Baltimore.
We’re hiring smart, motivated students for summer internships to stand up and take climate action. Apply today!
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
CCAN’s Healthy Communities campaign is focused on spurring a just transition in Baltimore City by moving the city away from failed fossil fuel development and toward clean energy and fair development. The campaign works to fight fossil fuel pollution in the city, particularly crude oil trains, while increasing access to solar power in low-income neighborhoods and advocating for the creation of clean energy jobs such as offshore wind manufacturing.
We are also core members of the Baltimore Peoples Climate Movement and will spend the summer organizing for the next big mobilization on September 8th via grassroots outreach, town halls, art builds, and coalition building.
As we face Trump’s rollbacks on climate change policies, we must continue to act on the local level. You will be at the forefront of these efforts to fight climate change in Baltimore!
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Learn to organize campaign events and creative actions
- Help conduct outreach, including tabling at events, phone banking and collecting petitions
- Participate in coalition meetings and learn how to work collaboratively
- Help recruit new volunteers to the campaign
- Write and publish your own letters to the editor
- Conduct campaign research
- Support constituent lobby meetings with elected officials and legislators
- Learn grassroots campaigning from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Someone with a driving passion to change the world for the better and who sees climate change as an urgent problem we need to solve – you will be part of a critical campaign.
- Someone with an eagerness to learn new advocacy and organizing skills and put them to work right away – we have tons to do!
- Someone ready to work hard – this is not a “desk job” type of internship, and a lot of our work happens in the evenings and on weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – you will be in the community, connecting with others.
- Someone with a commitment to Baltimore
This internship will be based in Baltimore, Maryland.
HOURS AND DATES
Internships are typically part time, about 20 hours per week from June – August. We can adjust dates and hours based on your schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW AND SPEND YOUR SUMMER INTERNING WITH US
To apply: Please fill out the following Google Form and we will respond within one week.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.