Spring Internship Opportunity: Work with CCAN to fight climate change in Virginia
This spring, the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN), is working on a campaign to stop two fracked-gas pipelines in Virginia, incentivize clean renewable energy, and hold dirty polluters accountable for the damage that they do to our climate and communities.
Take part in this visionary campaign to grow grassroots and grasstops power across the commonwealth: all the while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re hiring smart, motivated students for spring internships to stand up and take climate action. Apply today!
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
We are leaders in the national clean energy revolution. Not only did we help make Maryland the first state to legislatively ban fracking and lead the public battle against Dominion to the political frontlines in Virginia, but we have consistently pushed Virginia to keep up with its neighbors in cutting greenhouse gases and fighting for electricity from renewable sources. We are seeing a rising tide of public support for transformative energy policy in the Commonwealth, but we need to continue pushing forward with a bold vision if we want to win.
The campaign is called the No New Fossil Fuels Campaign and the primary components are below
- Stop two massive fracked-gas pipelines that are proposed to be constructed in Virginia
- Shift the political climate in Virginia to not welcome further fossil fuels infrastructure projects
- Grow grassroots power across the commonwealth to counter the tremendous influence that the fossil fuels industry wields in Virginia
As we face Trump’s rollbacks on climate change policies, we must continue to act on the state level. You will be on the front lines of this statewide campaign!
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
What you will learn:
- Learn to organize campaign events and creative actions
- Help conduct outreach, including tabling at events, phone banking and collecting petitions
- Help recruit new volunteers to the campaign
- Write and publish your own letters to the editor
- Conduct campaign research
- Support constituent lobby meetings with elected officials and legislators
- Learn grassroots campaigning from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Passionate and motivated activists with at least several months of campaign experience that are ready to take on polluters and change the Commonwealth!
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from late January through early May, exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW AND SPEND YOUR SPRING INTERNING WITH US!
To apply, fill out the following Google Form Application and we will respond within one week. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.