Job Announcement: Virginia Grassroots Coordinator (Richmond, VA)
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a passionate Coordinator to cultivate and expand the grassroots movement towards 100% clean energy in Virginia.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
In Virginia, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool inside and outside of the box – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We are standing in the way of two fracked gas pipelines, weakening one of the nations most powerful polluters (Dominion Energy), and we are pushing the most effective climate policies in the Commonwealth.
About the Position
The Virginia Grassroots Coordinator will have the skills, passion, and commitment to take on one of the biggest problems facing our planet in one of the toughest places to win. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The Virginia Grassroots Coordinator will be joining CCAN at a critical time – a time where the political winds are shifting to a progressive future where true climate action is possible in this southern coal state. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to build relationships, inspire mobilization, and urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis.
What You Will Do
- Outreach and Mobilization: Most of this person’s time will be spent building relationships with people and inspiring them to take action. This involves recruiting, training and supporting volunteers, as well as forming and cultivating active volunteer teams.
- Grassroots Campaign Planning: The coordinator will work with existing supporters, community partners, and coalition leaders to create strategic field plans aimed at winning CCAN’s priority campaigns.
- Planning and Executing Inspiring Actions: The successful candidate will organize and execute creative actions, media events, and community meetings that will mobilize our base and influence Virginia’s decision makers.
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change
- At least 2 years of demonstrated experience building relationships through organizing racially diverse audiences; experience organizing in Virginia is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with campaign planning, coalition building, and media outreach
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working effectively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Willing to travel as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a satisfactory driving record and auto insurance
This position is based in Richmond, Virginia. The Virginia Grassroots Coordinator reports to the Virginia Director.
Salary is commensurate with experience in the range of $35,000-$45,000. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation. This position is based in Richmond.
How to Apply
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume and cover letter, a writing sample is optional.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis but aim to make a final hiring decision by March 31st.
CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.