Work-from-home available during COVID-19 pandemic
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a highly organized, multi-talented person to fill CCAN’s most versatile position.
JOIN OUR WINNING TEAM
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) has an excellent opportunity for someone who is a proven problem solver, quick learner, and passionate about tackling the critical problems and solutions associated with climate change. Whether you’re looking for a foot in the door in the non-profit and progressive community or looking to fill your day with multifaceted work that benefits our planet, this could be the perfect position for you!
Work with our committed team and supporters as part of a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.”
CCAN is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
Across the region, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in solutions matching the scale of the climate crisis. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For almost two decades, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible,” using every tool available – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We are standing in the way of fracked gas pipelines and leading the charge on climate policy.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CCAN is looking for a self-motivated problem solver, who is comfortable with learning new tech-related skills, doing research, and performing various administrative needs of the organization and the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be someone who is just as motivated to keep our Executive Director’s calendar in order as they are to do critical research to support our campaigns.
The Executive Assistant will work directly with the Executive Director, assisting with the campaigns he is driving and his administrative duties. As part of that work, this position will involve additional special projects as needed by the organization’s leadership and would involve research, communications, organizing, and administrative tasks. This person also assists in various office management support and duties. Every day is different in this job and the right person for it is one who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, and is excited to provide support to the entire team– from solving IT issues to planning special events.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Assistant to the Executive Director: Assist the Executive Director with administrative duties, campaign research and development, management of social media channels, drafting and copy editing of written materials, and at times assist in the management of CCAN webpages.
- Special Projects: Plan special projects and events as they occur and are related to CCAN campaigns.
- Office Management: Ensure that CCAN’s office systems are running smoothly both proactively and reactively, field general calls to the CCAN office and manage CCAN’s front lobby in the Takoma Park office, coordinate the upkeep of CCAN’s office spaces, and assist with intern and job recruitment and onboarding.
- CCAN IT Management: Ensure that CCAN’s various IT systems are working properly and that staff is outfitted with the necessary technology to accomplish its goals, manage staff technology, and assist on virtual calls and with digital spaces.
Qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- Thrives in fast-paced environments
- Could be described as “tech-savvy” and has an aptitude for learning new technology and other skills quickly
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice
The Executive Assistant and Special Projects Coordinator position is based in Takoma Park, MD and reports to the Executive Director. However, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the CCAN team is working from home until health professionals lift social distancing and telework guidelines.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a minimum annual salary of $38,000. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume and cover letter.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.