FALL INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: WORK WITH CCAN TO FIGHT FOR HISTORIC FEDERAL CLIMATE LEGISLATION
This fall, the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN), is working on a campaign to pass historic federal climate legislation that would put our power sector on the path of 80% clean electricity by 2030 and set the foundation to decarbonize our economy by 2050.
Take part in this visionary campaign to pass legislation that dramatically reduces climate change pollution across the US while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re hiring smart, motivated students for fall internships to stand up and take climate action. Apply today!
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
We are leaders in the national clean energy revolution. We have won historic fights at the state level in Maryland and Virginia over the past two decades. Now we’re taking our experience at the state level to our nation’s capital. The great strides we’ve made in clean energy regionally now need to be made nationally — so, let’s keep pushing forward with a bold vision for a cleaner and more just country.
The campaign is called the Clean Energy Standard Campaign and the primary components are below:
- Passing a 100% clean energy standard by 2035
- Directing 40% of infrastructure funding to frontline communities and communities most impacted by the energy transition
- No more subsidies for fossil fuel corporations and holding those companies accountable
- A Civilian Climate Corps that puts people to work and trains them for a clean economy
As we enact historic climate legislation to meet ambitious climate goals, we must continue to build national coalitions. You will be on the front lines of this national campaign!
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
What you will learn:
- Learn to organize campaign events and creative actions
- Help conduct outreach, including tabling at events, phone banking and collecting petitions
- Help recruit new volunteers to the campaign
- Conduct campaign research
- Support constituent lobby meetings with elected officials and legislators
- Learn grassroots campaigning from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Someone with a driving passion to change the world for the better and who sees climate change as an urgent problem we need to solve – you will be part of a critical campaign.
- Someone with an eagerness to learn new advocacy and organizing skills and put them to work right away – we have tons to do!
- Someone ready to work hard – this is not a “desk job” type of internship
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – you will be in the community, connecting with others.
LOCATION: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this internship will be conducted remotely. Ties to the DMV region preferred, but not required.
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from September through December for the fall internship. Exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW AND SPEND YOUR FALL SEMESTER INTERNING WITH US
To apply, please fill out this Google Form Application, where you will be prompted to upload your resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.