**Remote option available during COVID-19 pandemic**
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a talented Campaign Associate to help advance our justice-centered movement toward clean energy in Congress and Maryland. A dream job for the right candidate, you will help Congress pass sweeping national climate legislation and participate in state-based policy as well.
Join our Winning Team
Step into a leadership role in the climate movement as a once-in-a-lifetime policy window in Congress appears to be opening. Work with our diverse and committed supporters as part of a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.” The Campaign Associate will be joining CCAN at a critical time – a time where poor leadership and systemic inequities have worsened the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, especially in our most vulnerable communities. We need bold action to get us out of this crisis — the same kind of ambitious action needed to solve the climate crisis.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out of all communities.
In Congress and in Maryland, we fight for solutions that match the scale of the climate crisis. Never has our work been more important as the potential for Congressional victories comes into focus. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” using every tool available – from organizing to lobbying to the law. Just in the past three years we have stopped multiple pipelines, banned fracking in Maryland, and passed a 100% carbon free electricity standard in VA and DC.
About the Position
The Campaign Associate will be part of a small, effective team working to pass bold climate bills in Congress and in Maryland. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to influence elected officials, mobilize constituents, and navigate the legislative process to urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis. They will be energized by developing legislative strategies, researching, lobbying, and mobilizing grassroots supporters to take meaningful action.
What You Will Do
We are looking for someone who can keep track of the larger picture and inform overall strategy while executing the following responsibilities:
- Legislative Advocacy: The Campaign Associate will, in coordination with the Policy Director, develop and execute plans to move key lawmakers. This includes background research, campaign design, and direct lobbying.
- Policy Research: As legislation and amendments move in real time, you will engage in accurate and well-documented research into a range of policy issues of importance to CCAN. You will write policy memos of varying length and on deadline as requested. You will make recommendations for organizational positions on policies.
- Targeted Field Work: You will work with coalition allies to mobilize in-district support for justice-centered climate legislation. This could include writing action alerts, calling grasstops leaders, and managing volunteer champions to achieve outcomes.
In addition to a commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice, qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- At least 2-4 years experience working on issue-based or political campaigns. Experience working or advocating on Capitol Hill is preferred
- Ability to self motivate, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated lobbying experience and policy knowledge; preferably in climate policy and/or environmental justice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Ability to stay on top of multiple projects without dropping any balls, plan backwards and anticipate obstacles, identify and involve stakeholders appropriately, and use resources wisely
The Campaign Associate will be an initially remote position, but will eventually require in person lobbying on Capitol Hill. The Campaign Associate reports to the Policy Director.
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $40k-50k. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume. A writing sample is optional.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.