Remote option available during COVID-19 pandemic
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a passionate organizer who is dedicated to uplifting community leaders in Northern Virginia to take on the climate crisis.
This position can be tailored for a junior or senior level of experience.
Join our Winning Team
Work in the burgeoning climate movement in the increasingly progressive state of Virginia while joining a team of talented advocates and organizers at the forefront of Virginia’s sprint toward clean energy. Work with our diverse and committed supporters as part of a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.” The Northern Virginia Organizer will be joining CCAN at a critical time – a time where poor leadership and systemic inequities have worsened the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, especially in our most vulnerable communities, and now, more than ever, we need bold action to get us out of this crisis. It will take the same kind of ambitious action to solve the climate crisis before we find ourselves in another dire situation.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
In Virginia, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool inside and outside of the box – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We are standing in the way of two fracked gas pipelines, weakening one of the nation’s most powerful polluters (Dominion Energy), and we led the charge towards the first 100% clean electricity mandate in the south.
About the Position
The Northern Virginia Organizer will have the skills, passion and commitment to take on one of the biggest problems facing our planet in a state newly committed to tackling it. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to build relationships, inspire mobilization, and urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis. They are energized by empowering others and are looking to put their creativity to work. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this position will rely heavily on remote organizing and the utilization of digital tools to move people to action from the safety of their homes.
What You Will Do
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Outreach and Volunteer Development: Much of this person’s time will be spent building relationships with people and inspiring them to take action. This involves recruiting, training and supporting volunteers and grassroots leaders, as well as forming and cultivating active volunteer teams.
- Mobilization: This organizer will work closely with existing supporters, community partners, and coalition leaders throughout Northern Virginia.
- Planning and Executing Inspiring Actions: The Northern VA Organizer will plan and execute creative actions, media events and community meetings that will mobilize our base and influence Virginia’s decision makers.
Qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- 1-2 years of grassroots or electoral organizing experience
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice
- Demonstrated experience building relationships through organizing racially diverse audiences; experience organizing in Virginia is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with campaign planning, coalition building; media outreach a plus
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working effectively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Willing to travel as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a satisfactory driving record and auto insurance
The Northern Virginia position, though initially remote, is based in the Washington, DC metro area (preferably in Northern VA, though DC-based candidates will be considered) and involves frequent travel within the state and periodic travel within the region. The Northern VA Organizer reports to the Virginia Director.
* Position can be performed remotely until health professionals lift social distancing and telework guidelines due to the coronavirus pandemic*
Salary is commensurate with experience (minimum of $40,000/year) and this position will be tailored to the level of experience of the successful candidate. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation.
How to Apply: Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume and cover letter, a writing sample is optional.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.