The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a passionate Canvasser to expand the grassroots climate movement in our most vulnerable communities
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
In Virginia, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool inside and outside of the box – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We are standing in the way of two fracked gas pipelines, weakening one of the nations most powerful polluters (Dominion Energy), and we are pushing the most effective climate policies in the Commonwealth.
About the Position
CCAN is hiring a small team of canvassers for its 2019 grassroots outreach. We are seeking passionate candidates with a deep commitment to social justice to foster their civic engagement and build a more diverse climate movement in Hampton Roads. This is a unique opportunity to work on a non-traditional, data- and research-driven campaign.
Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented self-starters who thrive on person-to-person contact.
What You Will Do
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Outreach and Mobilization: Most of this person’s time will be spent doing direct community outreach through door-to-door canvassing. There will also be some community events within the campaign.
- Data Management: This person will also be tasked with entering and maintaining data around canvassing totals and event outreach.
The qualified candidate will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working effectively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Willing to travel around Virginia Beach as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a satisfactory driving record and auto insurance
This position is based in Virginia Beach, Virginia and reports to the Lead Canvasser.
Salary is $15.00 per hour and is 30-40 hours per week. This is a temporary position and we are accepting applications on a rolling basis.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.