Do you have fundraising experience? Are you excited about the possibility of using your innovation and skills in the service of tackling climate change? Are you a great writer and comfortable with tech tools? If so, this could be the perfect job for you.
Our Development Coordinator/Director will deepen and expand Chesapeake Climate Action Network’s (CCAN) base of donors throughout the region. With tens of thousands of dedicated activists in Maryland, DC, and Virginia, CCAN has inspired countless people to get involved in our campaigns to protect our climate. We are searching for someone with the passion and skills to deepen the financial investment within a set of these supporters and help us expand to new donors as well.
There is exceptional room for growth within this position, and the level of responsibility can be tailored to the applicants experience level.
For nearly 20 years, CCAN has been dedicated to building a powerful movement for bold climate solutions in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC. We are committed to taking on big fights and pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible,” using every tool inside and outside of the box – from organizing and lobbying to the law and direct action. We apply that same ethic to our fundraising efforts.
CCAN has a proven track record of winning, including our recent victories to ban fracking and to secure and strengthen Maryland’s banner clean energy bill – the Renewable Portfolio Standard. In Virginia, we are launching an exciting new effort to ensure VA finally invests in its clean energy potential. These are just a few of the exciting campaigns CCAN is undertaking. In all our work, we focus on movement-building because we believe that people are at the center of change and that solving climate change means fighting for justice.
About the Position
The person in this role will use their knowledge of best practices, effective new tools, and instincts for innovation to reach out to current, past, and future individual supporters, asking for larger and firmer commitments both online and offline. Additionally, CCAN hosts fun and successful fundraising events each year that the Development position will manage and take to the next level. We are excited for the person in this role to build on our successes and to make this work their own through new ideas to strengthen our grassroots fundraising overall, including supporter cultivation and appreciation, new outreach efforts and/or new approaches to traditional ones, and systems management.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Donor meetings: Meet one-on-one with CCAN’s major donors and donor prospects and the associated preparation, follow-up, and tracking. This requires regional travel and associated night and weekend hours to meet our donors at their convenience.
- Donor cultivation and communication: Create and manage systems related to the donor’s experience, ensuring our most committed supporters are kept up to date on our campaigns and thanked for their gifts.
- Donor prospecting: Work with existing supporters and commonly used tools to bring in new support for CCAN, including coordinating with our communications team to further engage digitally-acquired supporters.
- Event fundraising: Manage 2-3 fundraising events each year including the logistics, outreach, tracking, and follow up involved. This includes our highly successful annual Polar Bear Plunge as well as supporter-initiated smaller events throughout the year.
- 2-5 years of demonstrated experience within the fundraising field
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with donor visits, highly preferred
- Proven ability to make strong asks and produce goal-driven results
- Excellent skills in time and systems management
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working with a team
- Tech-savvy, with a love of numbers, data tracking, and analysis
- Experience with Engaging Networks or other CRM, highly preferred
- Experience with event fundraising, preferred
- Willing to travel as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a good driving record and auto insurance
This position reports to CCAN’s Deputy Director. Salary is commensurate with experience, and the level of responsibility can be tailored depending on the applicants experience level.
CCAN provides a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage, a 401(k), and four weeks of paid vacation.
This position is based in CCAN’s Takoma Park, MD office, just a block from the DC border (on Metro’s Red Line).
How to Apply
To apply: Please submit your application via this Google Form. We will ask a few introductory questions and ask that you upload your cover letter, resume, and a sample fundraising appeal that you’ve authored.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Chesapeake Climate Action Networks (CCAN) is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you are parenting the next generation of climate action innovators, we believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.