The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a multi-talented leader to take our Maryland team to the next level and build on a tradition of clean-energy successes just miles from the US Capitol
Is this for you?
If you’re an experienced and skilled leader seeking a rare chance to make a big difference on climate change, this could be the job for you. CCAN has been called the “best regional climate change organization in the world” by renowned climate activist and author Bill McKibben. We work on the doorstep of the nation’s capital and we help influence both state and national energy policy. Please read on if you are interested in being the next leader to direct our Maryland team.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the first group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
In Maryland, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis we are facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing rollbacks at the national level. For nearly two decades, we have been dedicated to taking on big fights in Maryland and pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible,” using every tool inside and outside of the box — from organizing to lobbying to lawsuits. We’ve succeeded in banning fracking in Maryland; we’ve passed revolutionary legislation mandating solar and wind power; and we’ve successfully shut down coal plants.
About the Maryland Director
Our next Maryland Director will have the skills, passion, and commitment to lead our team to its next series of victories for the planet. We are working with individuals and organizations across Maryland to set criteria and policy for an equitable path to a carbon-free economy. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to help lead the way.
- 5+ years of experience that includes running campaigns, lobbying, and managing staff
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working collaboratively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Track record of building grassroots power and strong coalitions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with the media
- Expertise in climate and energy policy
- Advocacy experience in Maryland
The Maryland Director will work with a dedicated team of CCAN campaign staff, including our talented field organizers, a proven communications team with expanding digital resources, and a senior management team with decades of experience developing campaigns and advancing policy solutions in Maryland. The Director will lead the formulation and execution of successful cutting-edge campaigns in line with our organizational goals. The Director will work with elected officials, opinion leaders, coalition partners, and grassroots constituencies across Maryland. The main realms of responsibility include:
- Campaign Development: Develop and manage statewide campaigns with strategic focus and measurable results that continue to build a diverse and powerful climate movement in Maryland. Work with CCAN’s communications team to develop and deliver powerful campaign messages that resonate across Maryland.
- Lobbying: Act as CCAN’s primary lobbyist in Annapolis, requiring daily presence in Annapolis during legislative session (mid-January through mid-April), building relationships with elected officials and lobbying them to support our policy priorities.
- Policy Development: Develop and promote equitable policy solutions to climate change in Maryland that curb climate pollution and improve people’s lives.
- Coalition Work: Collaborate with climate, justice, environmental, business, and other allies in Maryland to maintain and further expand a broad and powerful climate movement unlike anything the state has ever seen and win shared climate victories.
- Field Management: Work with CCAN’s grassroots team to ensure that our network of volunteers and community partners committed to winning climate victories is increasing in size and strength.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental coverage, retirement plan, and four weeks of paid vacation. This position is based in our Takoma Park, MD office, blocks from the DC Metro’s Red Line. As frequent in-state travel is necessary, a car, insurance, and satisfactory driving record are required.
CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.