The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a passionate Senior Coordinator to spearhead our grassroots campaign towards 100% clean energy in Virginia
Live in the dynamic city of Richmond while making a difference on vital clean energy campaigns across the swing state of Virginia. Work with our diverse and committed staff as part of a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.” This is truly a dream job for the right person.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
In Virginia, we are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we are facing stalls and rollbacks at the national level. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool available – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We are standing in the way of two fracked gas pipelines, weakening one of the nations most powerful polluters (Dominion Energy), and we are pushing the most effective climate policies in the Commonwealth.
About the Position
The Virginia Senior Grassroots Coordinator will have the skills, passion and commitment to take on one of the biggest problems facing our planet in one of the toughest places to win. We are looking for a resilient, creative and strategic problem-solver to lead our field team. The Virginia Senior Grassroots Coordinator will be joining CCAN at a critical time – a time where the political winds are shifting to a progressive future where true climate action is possible in this southern coal state. Our ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with great leadership skills, someone who seeks opportunities to build relationships, and someone with values rooted in equity.
What You Will Do
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Staff Management: This person will manage CCAN’s Virginia-based Grassroots Organizers. This responsibility includes training in grassroots organizing skills, developing work plans, holding weekly check-ins, evaluating employees’ performance, and leading the hiring process to fill any vacancies.
- Outreach and Mobilization: Part of this person’s workload will include grassroots organizing and coalition building in targeted areas in northern Virginia: this will require research of current leaders in the area, outreach to group leaders, organizing events, and some travel.
- Grassroots Campaign Planning: This person will work with the Virginia Director to spearhead all strategic planning for CCAN’s field campaigns. This will include working with existing supporters, community partners, and coalition leaders to create strategic field plans aimed at winning CCAN’s priority campaigns.
The qualified candidate will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- Commitment to the mission of fighting for climate justice
- At least 2 years experience in management
- At least 2 years of demonstrated experience building relationships through organizing racially diverse audiences; experience organizing in Virginia is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with campaign planning, coalition building, and media outreach
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working effectively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Willing to travel as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a satisfactory driving record and auto insurance
This position is based in Richmond, Virginia. The VA Senior Grassroots Coordinator reports to the Virginia Director.
Salary is commensurate with experience in the range of $42,000-$47,000. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation.
How to Apply
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume and cover letter, a writing sample is optional. CCAN will be interviewing on a rolling basis.
CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.