The Chesapeake Climate Action Network seeks a passionate organizer dedicated to uplifting community leaders in the Baltimore area to take on the climate crisis.
This position can be tailored for a junior or senior level of experience.
Join our Winning Team
Be part of the robust climate movement in Maryland with a team of talented advocates and organizers at the forefront of Maryland’s sprint toward clean energy. Our diverse and committed supporters have made us a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben, co-founder of 350.org, calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.” The Baltimore Organizer will join CCAN at a critical time: following a successful legislative session, we now face the challenge of influencing the implementation of the Climate Solutions Now Act of 2022, ensuring a just and equitable transition to a clean energy future.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where fossil fuels are phased out, efficiency is prioritized, and truly clean sources of power — solar, wind, and geothermal — sustain every aspect of our lives.
We are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis. We have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Maryland since 2002, using every tool inside and outside the box – from organizing to lobbying to the law.
About the Position
The Baltimore Organizer will have the skills, passion, and commitment to tackle the biggest problems facing our planet in a region that is particularly vulnerable to its impacts. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to build relationships, inspire mobilization, and urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis. They are energized by empowering others and look to put their creativity to work. The Baltimore Organizer will develop and execute field strategy and tactics for two or more priority campaigns, including our Baltimore-based Healthy Communities campaign – efforts to fight pollution sources and support clean-energy projects in Baltimore – and Electrify Everything – our campaign to move buildings away from fossil fuels.
What You Will Do
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Outreach and Volunteer Development: The Organizer’s priority is building relationships with people and inspiring them to take action. This involves recruiting, training, and supporting volunteers and grassroots leaders and cultivating active volunteer teams.
- Build and Deepen Partnerships and Coalitions: The Baltimore Organizer will work closely with existing supporters, community partners, and coalition leaders throughout Baltimore City and County and in priority areas for our Electrify Everything campaign.
- Plan and Execute Inspiring Actions and Campaigns: The Baltimore Organizer will plan and execute creative actions, media events, and community meetings to mobilize our base and influence Maryland’s decision-makers.
- Strengthen Membership and Support for Campaigns in Key Regions of the State: The Baltimore Organizer will work with frontline communities to support mitigation and resilience efforts and engage in local efforts to reduce pollution from landfills, clean up Baltimore’s many sources of pollution and support clean energy projects, including advocating for the electrification of buildings and government infrastructure.
Qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice.
- Demonstrated experience living or working in BIPOC communities and organizing across differences in identities and experiences, a bonus if that work has been in Baltimore.
- Self-driven and able to work effectively with a team.
- Able to multitask and prioritize measurable results.
- Track record of successfully recruiting people to an event, cause, or effort.
- Experience setting measurable goals and tracking progress.
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Willing to travel as needed.
This position is based in Baltimore City or County and will involve frequent travel within the state and periodic travel within the region. Candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to Baltimore City or County. A connection to the community of Greater Baltimore is crucial for this position.
CCAN staff work on a hybrid schedule, and the Baltimore Organizer will work at least one day per week from our office in Takoma Park, with the option to work from home the rest of the week. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt from overtime. The Baltimore Organizer reports to the General Counsel and Foundation Grants Manager.
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $48,000-$58,000. We will tailor the position to the level of experience of the successful candidate. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage, and four weeks of paid vacation.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the Google form application, where you will answer a series of short questions and submit a resume. We will accept applications until the position is filled, with interview preference given to candidates who apply by October 14, 2022.
The interview process will consist of a phone interview, a panel interview over Zoom, and a skills test, with the possibility of an in-person meeting. We hope to make a job offer in November.
CCAN is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing diverse backgrounds and perspectives to staff to make us smarter and more effective at what we do. Ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.