The Chesapeake Climate Action Network seeks a passionate organizer dedicated to uplifting community leaders in central Virginia to take on the climate crisis. We will tailor this position to the experience level of our chosen candidate.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable and efficient energy future beyond fossil fuels, where truly clean power sources — solar, wind, and geothermal — sustain every aspect of our lives.
We are working on bold campaigns that would result in energy policies matching the scale of the climate crisis and redefining what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool available – from organizing to lobbying to the law.
About the Position
The Central Virginia Organizer will have the skills, passion, and commitment to tackle the biggest problems facing our planet in a region that is particularly vulnerable to its impacts. We want a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to build relationships, inspire mobilization, and urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis. They are energized by empowering others and look to put their creativity to work. The Central Virginia Organizer will develop and execute field strategy and tactics for two or more priority campaigns, including No New Fossil Fuels, our efforts to stop the development and expansion of pipelines and other fossil fuel infrastructure in Virginia, and Mobility for All, a campaign focused on increasing transit options and accessibility in Richmond and statewide.
What You Will Do
The primary responsibilities of the position include
- Outreach and Volunteer Development: The Organizer’s priority is building relationships with people and inspiring them to take action. This involves recruiting, training, supporting volunteers and grassroots leaders, and cultivating active volunteer teams.
- Build and Deepen Partnerships and Coalitions: The Central Virginia Organizer will work closely with existing supporters, community partners, and coalition leaders throughout the region and lead our grassroots presence at the state capital during the legislative session.
- Plan and Execute Inspiring Actions and Campaigns: The Central Virginia Organizer will plan and execute creative actions, media events, and community meetings to mobilize our base and influence Virginia’s decision-makers. They will play a role in our electoral engagement in local, statewide, and federal races.
- Strengthen Membership and Support for Campaigns in Key Regions of the State: The Central Virginia Organizer will implement CCAN’s membership model, deepening relationships with and among CCAN supporters and our allies in the region.
Qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- Commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice.
- Demonstrated experience living or working in BIPOC communities and organizing across different identities and experiences.
- Self-driven and able to work effectively with a team.
- Able to multitask and prioritize measurable results.
- Track record of successfully recruiting people to an event, cause, or effort.
- Experience setting measurable goals and tracking progress.
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Willing to travel as needed.
This position is based in Central Virginia and will involve frequent travel within the state and periodic travel within the region. CCAN staff work on a hybrid schedule and the Central Virginia Organizer will work at least two days per week from our office in Richmond, with the option to work from home the rest of the week. Candidates should expect to spend several days per week in Richmond during the legislative session (usually January and February).
This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt from overtime. The Central Virginia Organizer reports to the Field Director.
Salary is commensurate with experience within a range of $48,000-$58,000. We will tailor the position to the level of experience of the successful candidate. We provide a generous benefits package, including health care, dental and vision coverage, and four weeks of paid vacation.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the Google form application, where you will answer a series of short questions and submit a resume. We will accept applications until the position is filled, with interview preference given to candidates who apply by December 31, 2022.
The interview process will consist of a phone interview, a panel interview over Zoom, and a skills test, with the possibility of an in-person meeting. We hope to make a job offer in November. CCAN is an equal-opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing diverse backgrounds and perspectives to staff to make us more effective at what we do. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.