The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) works with partners across the Chesapeake region to promote renewable energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stop the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure. Our campaigns focus on passing legislation that will dramatically reduce climate change pollution across the region, while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re looking for smart, talented students for spring internships to stand up and take climate action.
We’re the largest and oldest grassroots group fighting for bold and just solutions to climate change in the Chesapeake region of Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
We’ve put a stop to new coal plants in Virginia, brought 100% clean power to Washington DC, and fully banned fracking in Maryland.
In 2022, we’re going to keep fighting: to stop massive fracked-gas pipelines across the farms and forests of Virginia, to bring a Climate Stimulus to Maryland, and to enact strong climate action at the federal level.
We and our 70,000 supporters surrounding the nation’s capital are going to keep building the powerfully diverse grassroots climate movement our region needs – building local resistance, raising our voices, and taking concrete action.
OUR COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
Interns at CCAN work side-by-side with our experienced communications experts to create compelling content and run impactful media campaigns across our region. They gain valuable experience for careers in the communications and media industries.
SPECIFICALLY, YOUR TASKS MAY INCLUDE
- Learning the ins-and-outs of managing media lists and reaching out to reporters.
- Developing fluency in a website management system for creating and sharing content on multiple websites.
- Drafting social media posts, web graphics, factsheets, and/or analyzing social media content.
- Researching best practices for social media and search engine optimization.
- Conceptualizing, editing, and/or drafting blog posts and language for the website.
- And having an amazing opportunity to learn what it’s like to work at an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben has called the “best regional climate organization in the world.”
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to combat climate change and secure clean energy victories.
- A commitment to a fair and equitable energy future.
- Strong dedication to justice, equity, and inclusion
- A keen eye for new technologies and computer systems.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- A quick learner.
- A good understanding of social media spheres.
- And a sense of humor!
This internship will be remote during the coronavirus pandemic.
Internships are typically 15-30 hours per week from January through May. Exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
To apply, fill out the following Google Form Application by 11:59 PM ET, November 21, 2021, where you will be prompted to upload your resume, cover letter and a writing sample.