The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) works with partners across the Chesapeake region to promote renewable energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stop the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure. Our campaigns focus on passing legislation that will dramatically reduce climate change pollution across the region, while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re looking for smart, talented students for spring internships to stand up and take climate action.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
In 2021, we’re going to keep fighting to stop massive fracked-gas pipelines across the farms and forests of Virginia, to double wind and solar in Maryland, and to make our region a national leader on climate action under an incoming Administration that once again values science.
We and our 70,000 supporters surrounding the nation’s capital are going to keep building the powerfully diverse grassroots climate movement our region needs – building local resistance, raising our voices, and taking concrete action.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to conduct research related to clean energy policies, energy efficiency, and other climate mitigation techniques.
- How to turn that research into compelling public campaign materials.
- A deeper understanding of state legislative processes.
- The process of developing policy related to climate change.
- Methods of conducting outreach to garner support for campaigns.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to address the causes of climate change and win.
- Excellent attention to detail, experience with academic research preferred.
- A willingness to work hard.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship will be operating remotely.
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from mid January through mid May. Exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW TO INTERN WITH US
To apply, please fill out this Google Form Application, where you will be prompted to upload your resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.